quinta-feira, 13 de janeiro de 2011

One place, one mind, for a lifetime

Statesville, North Carolina, is indeed a small town, not very different from all small towns in the United States. I don't remember seeing a Main Street there, those all English textbooks bring, but, for sure, I recall strolling along the sidewalks on a Center Street. This, of course, was when downtown still had businesses and life. This was before Wal-mart came to town and simply ruined the local business. This was the city where I lived and where I got to know very special people for me. The most important of them are gone now. "Our" house still stands, but who knows what happened to it? I keep memories of my last stay. A little after a snowy winter, back in 2004. It was lovely seeing those who, speaking another language and immersed in another culture, oriented by different values from mine, made me a different man, a richer person for the rest of my life. I should the thinking of them at all times. I should be thanking them all the time. This is a simply way of keeping them alive. Wherever they are, one place, one mind, my memories for a lifetime. I was very happy in that house, in that city. One day, I'll go back to see them all. The deceased ones, beloved in my heart, will be with me forever. They know where I am. This is Statesville, North Carolina, a small town in the Piedmont of this lovely state. Memories of a lifetime!

Nenhum comentário: