quinta-feira, 7 de julho de 2011

The "fitinhas" of our faith

For those who don't know, these are the front steps of Bonfim Church, located in the lower city, in the "bairro" of Bonfim, Salvador, Brazil. The colored fine pieces of fabric hanging at the wind are the famous "fitinhas" which bear the symbology of our faith in this who is our Patron Saint, the Great Master, the protector of Bahia. In Candomblé, He is Oxalá, the greatest of all the Orishas. Coming here is not something I do pretty often. It's a lovely and wonderful place, but far out of my way. But when we have friends who come to Bahia, especially for the first time, we come here. And every time I climb those steps, I feel something different. This place is more than a place of pilgrimage. It's a place which synthesizes all our belief in a high and superior force who is up there taking care of us, looking upon us, making sure we can move on in life, being sort of ready to face all the 'goods and bads' that, naturally, comprise our journey here in this world. A recent visit and I felt my body shake, my faith tremble, my heart pound differently. This is indeed a place to come and remain in silence, reflect, pray. And as we leave, get at least one "fitinha", tie it to our arm, and make three wishes. I did. And I left renovated in my faith in life. I did! What a place!

2 comentários:

Lucielen disse...

I did too. And it is a magical place indeed. So many people coming and going... So many beliefs that get together on one place... And the prayers... ah the prayers that are elevated all the time makes people renew their lives constantly... it is magical!!!

nadinha disse...

I´ve already gone to Bonfim church a thousand times and felt something indescribable, calm and at the same time mysterious. It seems that we can be closer to a superior being. Not only 3 wishes I made the time I went: peace for the world, family and friends and faith to overcome the obstacles, but also to say YES AND NO when it is decisive in my life. There I left my tears and heart crying for compassion for the times I forget HIS singular presence by my side. The poet has also left his message to HIM: ” São Salvador, Bahia de São Salvador : a terra do Nosso Senhor, do Nosso Senhor do Bonfim “ Dori Caymmi