segunda-feira, 28 de janeiro de 2008

The Kite Runner

Away with the cliché that says that the book is always better than the movie! I read both books by Khaled Hosseini, and enjoyed both stories in different ways. As a writer for the masses, I think he does have a brilliant future to go. Now, The Kite Runner, the movie, is out. I have just seen it, and again, savored it in a different way too. My expectations were never too high, as I have always believed a movie, bringing the language and aesthetics of its own, can not (and does not have to) rely on details and strategies only literature has the power to create and convey. For someone who has not read the book, the movie does grasp the essence of the original story, and explores the strong and highly ideological and emotional parts at the right level. Nothing melodramatic. I loved to hear Farsi, one of Afghanistan's national languages, even though I couldn't grasp any word. The boy that played Hassan, the servant's son, and the protagonist's best friend, steals the show brilliantly and maturely, incorporating the character's noble subservience to Amir, someone he deeply cared for. Homayoun Ershadi, playing Baba, Amir's father (and finally Hassan's too) caught my attention too. All in all, the movie is different from the book, not better not worse. But we have to recognize that the cinema with all its power to transform words into images has the advantage to get us closer to the characters, fill up our ears and minds with the music, the culture, the flavors of the country where the story takes places. It's a great feeling too! So, read the book, watch the movie, and experience different sensations. The Kite Runner is one of those stories that deserves such deference!

2 comentários:

Maria Schmeeckle disse...

Hello from Illinois, in the United States! I enjoyed reading your comments about The Kite Runner. I recently saw the film, and although I haven't read the book, I agree that the film is very powerful and that the actors playing Hassan and Baba were very memorable. The story was heart wrenching. I would have liked to have seen more evidence of remorse and shame from the adult Amir, but perhaps the book does a better job of portraying that.

Sávio Siqueira disse...

Thanks for dropping by. I loved your comments. And I think you're right on Amir's remorse. If my memory doesn't fail me, this is not powerful in the book either. well, come by more often, and try to read the Portuguese posts too. They'll be a good practice for you. Um beijo e saudades.
Sávio